Subject: [Fwd: The Open Group SOA Ontology - New Review Draft]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	The Open Group SOA Ontology - New Review Draft
Date: 	Tue, 01 Jun 2010 12:27:49 +0100
From: 	Chris Harding <c.harding@opengroup.org>
To: 	Jones, Allen S <allen.s.jones@boeing.com>, Ed Harrington
<ed-h@modeldriven.com>, rexb@starbourne.com <rexb@starbourne.com>,
soa-ontology@opengroup.org <soa-ontology@opengroup.org>

Hi folks,

I'm passing along Chris Harding's request for us to review the most
current draft of the Open Group's SOA Ontology.

We needed more stuff to chew on, anyway, right? ;-)

Hi -

As you know, the SOA Ontology project has decided that the latest draft
should be exposed for review by interested parties outside The Open Group.

Allen, Ed, and Rex - I would be grateful if you would send the
invitation below to your colleagues in the NCOIC, the OMG, and OASIS.

Other project members, if you know of other groups that might be
interested in participating in the review, please will you send the
invitation to them.

> For some time now, The Open Group has been developing a formal
ontology for SOA. We made an early version available for comment by
people outside The Open Group in 2007, and invited further comments
prior to formal Open Group review in 2008. That review took place last
year. It did not result in approval of the ontology for publication as
an Open Group standard, but determined that fundamental changes should
be made. We have now made those changes, and invite you to comment on
the resulting new draft.

The changes have been partly driven by the desire to use the ontology as
a basis for product implementations, and products that implement the
emerging S-RAMP standard are using it - see http://s-ramp.org/faq.html

This draft is smaller than the previous review draft. It does not cover
nearly so many concepts, but the OWL constructs for the concepts that it
does cover are partly based on implementation experience, not just on
the ways that the words concerned are used in human communication.

The draft is available for review at
https://www.opengroup.org/projects/soa-ontology/review/ To participate
in the review, you must subscribe to mail list
soa-ontology-info@opengroup.org. You can do this via
http://www.opengroup.org/sophocles2/create_user.tpl?name=soa-ontology-info
 You will then be able to log in to the review page, and enter comments
on-line.

We will address comments received at this stage before creating the
draft for further Open Group review, which we hope this time will lead
to publication of a standard. We would very much appreciate your input.

--
Regards,

Chris
++++

Dr. Christopher J. Harding
Forum Director for SOA and Semantic Interoperability
THE OPEN GROUP
Thames Tower, 37-45 Station Road, Reading RG1 1LX, UK
Mailto:c.harding@opengroup.org Phone (mobile): +44 774 063 1520
http://www.opengroup.org

The Open Group Conference & Member Meeting  Boston
Hyatt Harborside Boston, July 19-23, 2010
http://www.opengroup.org/boston2010

Rex Brooks
President, CEO
Starbourne Communications Design