Subject: RE: [soa-rm] Reference Model vs. Reference Architecture (Road Map)

Title: Re: [soa-rm] Reference Model vs. Reference Architecture (Road Map)
<Quote>
We will need to have that conformancy discussion after we nail down the core RM to determine what rules may apply to this.
</Quote>

Thanks Duane. I wonder if the distinction between RM and RA is better made while we are nailing down the core RM, so we can be best aware of where an RM leaves off and an RA picks up. Seems that this may not simply be a conformance issue, but more of a "design" issue (in the sense that we are "designing" an RM).

Would like to hear other opinions (including more of yours, Duane)...

From: Duane Nickull [mailto:dnickull@adobe.com]
Sent: Wed 5/11/2005 11:23 AM
Cc: soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org

Chiusano Joseph wrote:

> <Quote>
> Since we are effectively defining here the contents of a pallette,
> when the painter uses those contents, will the picture that they
> produce be the equivalent of an architecture for a service-oriented
> system? It seems that we are saying it would be the equivalent of a
> reference architecture.

<SNIP>

The pallette is more than just the objects; it is also the associations
between them and other axioms.  The answer to your question should be
yes - if they base their work on the RM, what they end up with is a
SOA.  That can either be a specialized SOA or a more general reference
architecture.

We will need to have that conformancy discussion after we nail down the
core RM to determine what rules may apply to this.

Chair - OASIS Service Oriented Architecture Reference Model Technical Committee -
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=soa-rm
Adobe Enterprise Developer Resources  - http://www.adobe.com/enterprise/developer/main.html