Subject: Draft 7, Section1 - Introduction

<current>

Introduction section

</current>

<suggested>

Add a small section of text to illustrate the usefulness of a RM to
architects.

</suggested>

<notes>

Use an analogy similar to this to position RM in relationship to RA.
Ensure it does not duplicate Appendix B but should point at it.

RA means Reference Architecture.  As per the previous emails on  this
subject, it is a generalized architecture.

The relationship is that architects use a RM as a guiding model  when
building a RA.

For example, if you are architecting a house, an RM may explain the
concepts of gravity, a 3D environment, walls, foundations, floors,
roofs, ceilings etc.  It is abstract however.  There is nothing
specific like a wall with measurements such as 8 feet high.  Note  that
the RM has only one each of these things - it does not have 4,  16, 23
walls, just one as a concept.
The architect may uses this model to create a specific architecture  for
a specific house (accounting for such things as property,  incline,
climate etc) or an architect MAY elect to use it to build  a more
generalized reference architecture.  The latter is often  done by
architects who design houses.  When they sell a house, they  must often
re-architect the RA for specific implementation details  such as incline
of land, climate, facing the sun etc..

So why do we need a RM?  Simple - we now have logical divisions  amongst
the components of a house and what they mean.  That way,  when a company
says " we are a flooring company..", that is  meaningful since we all
know what that means.  The same applies to  a roofing company.  Without
the basic consensus on the logical  divisions, a roofing contractor may
also try to include the ceiling  and walls as part of his offerings.
That would not work and not  allow the general contractor to build a
house very easily since  there may not be consensus upon the division of
labor and  components to build the house.

</notes>