Subject: Re: [soa-rm] David Linthicum Says: "ESB versus Fabric.Stop It!"

On May 25, 2005, at 10:28 PM, Duane Nickull wrote:

> Thoughts on this:
>
> Ken Laskey wrote:
>
>> The 07 draft says that there is probably not 100% opacity and what is
>>  exposed as metadata (a mechanism for diluting opacity) depends very
>> much on what consumers need to know to determine that a given service
>>  is appropriate for their needs.
>
> After reading many of the threads  y'all have sent, I am now thinking
> that a better axiom may be to state that a service is autonmous in its
> ability to control its level of opacity (do not think of a concrete
> service - just the abstract concept).
>
>>   That a single service is an  orchestration of several services is
>> not likely to be exposed but may  be inferred by such things as
>> quality of service attributes.
>
> If you are referring to sectio 2.1.1, it is really more of when a
> service is a composite of two other services (or perhaps aggregation
> is a better term given the UML meaning).

You are correct.  However, one can think of orchestration as a
composite with logic on how the composition is organized and sequenced.
  In any case, the service the consumer sees is the important one and
most of the details behind it are never seen.

> Duane

Ken Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305     phone:  703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                        fax:        703-983-1379