Subject: Re: [soa-rm] My stab at an SOA-RM concept map

So, here is another go...

For any service there is an expectation as to how to use the service,
and what the results of using the service might be. Loosely, this is
what most people (I humbly suggest) mean by the semantics of the
service.

The data model and the process model would normally be thought of as
part of the 'how to use the service' aspect of its semantics.

The concept of policy is normally defined to be a constraint on the
behavior of entities. Taken at its most liberal, this includes the
above: the service is constrained to behave the way it is supposed to.

However, in our discussions, I think that we went a stage further in
nailing down what policy meant: that it was a constraint on the
behavior of a service (or state, or the service consumer etc. etc.)
that is unilaterally declared by one or more of the participants of a
service usage scenario.

Finally, a contract (or agreement if contract is too loaded),
represents a policy that has been agreed to by at least two
participants; but more generally, by all affected participants.

I think that it is interesting that in this analysis, it seems
impossible to avoid bringing in people (and therefore service
consumers etc.) into the picture of service oriented systems.

However, you cannot fully account for this picture unless you also
bring in the concept of a real world effect. I.e., business
semantics. The reason is that a policy without a policy owner
(sometimes called the policy subject I believe) is an oxymoron: it is
the owner of the policy that distinguishes a policy from just any
predicate. But owning is a real-world concept (as opposed to the Java
concept of inheritance which is not of this world :)

Frank