Subject: RE: [soa-rm] New Name of Current Spec (Was RE: [soa-rm] Groups - SOA RM Meeting Minutes June 01, 2005 (Meeting Minutes June 01, 2005[1].doc) uploaded)

Depends on what debate you mean. I believe the debate regarding whether
or not Figure 2-1 depicts service orientation or service-oriented
architecture is dead, because we had consensus that it does - and will
continue to, and should - depict service orientation. This will become
our foundation for subsequently creating a service-oriented architecture
reference model.

> I also certainly do not believe that the debate between
> 'service orientation' and 'service oriented' is over.

Actually, our debate has been between "service orientation" and "service
oriented architecture" (the "a" makes a big difference there). I'm sure
there will be more debates regarding how we take the service orientation
RM and build upon it to form a SOA RM. These will be good debates, I'm
sure.

> I do think that there is some confusion/question about what a
> reference model is.

Yep - has been from the start, may not ever change:)

> My take is that it is something akin to OMG's
> MDA: a set of concepts that come together to enable one to
> capture the key essence of an architecture.

Well I wouldn't consider MDA a reference model, but I like your
definition with one tweak: ...to enable one to *derive* an architecture
(and one may add "to capture its key essence", but that is an important
secondary point IMO).

> The trouble with polarizing debates is that people get
> emotional,

I've often been told that emotional is good.

> and evolution is confused with 'backing down'.
> That is why I do think it is helpful to paint everyone into
> two camps.

I think you meant to say that it is *not* helpful.