Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Definition(s) of "service"

At 12:10 PM 7/28/2005, Frank McCabe wrote:

[snip]

I think the following from Frank is a very good capture of the
aspects of service we are trying to project.

>I believe that there is strong consensus on the following
>characteristics:
>a. The concept of service is 'at the boundary' between service
>providers and consumers.
>b. The service is 'there' to get things done; but doesn't itself
>denote the engine that performs the tasks.
>c. There is a reason for using a service.
>d. There is a lot of extra metalogical information about services
>that make it possible for third parties to develop partners for
>services.

A car is not a boundary between me and getting some place.  It is the
capability to transport me along a continuous ground path (barring
Hollywood stunts).  While the car has numerous interfaces, I'd be
hard pressed to label its services in the context we are trying to describe.

We talked at the ftf about thin vs. thick boundaries as a metaphor
for service.  In the limit, a zero-thickness boundary is a means of
accessing a capability but provides none of its own.  While I'm not
sure that we really have a zero-thickness boundary, I do believe the
boundary to be very thin and most of its structure is pointing to
other entities such as data models and policy statements.  These in
turn are described elsewhere and their execution is done as a result
of invoking a service but is not that service itself.

   /   Ken
Laskey                                                                \
  |    MITRE Corporation, M/S H305    phone:  703-983-7934   |
  |    7515 Colshire Drive                    fax:      703-983-1379   |
   \   McLean VA 22102-7508                                              /