Subject: Fwd: Re: [soa-rm-editors] what is metadata?

Thinking more on this, the critical thing about metadata for SOA is (1) it is external to the entity and can be viewed and processed without touching the entity, (2) it contains sufficient information so you can discriminate between one entity and another.

Some other words and concepts that may be useful:

Use of the term metadata has expanded beyond the point of conveying a definitive meaning when the word is used.  The data model in a database is traditionally looked at as metadata because it describes the structure of the database.  Similarly, information included before a table in a data file can identify the variables represented by the values in the rows and columns, and this is often described as metadata.
When used in the context of a service-oriented architecture (SOA), metadata typically serves a much wider purpose.  For the myriad of capabilities with which metadata has been connected in an SOA context, it would be more accurately described as that subset of the data related to an entity that provides some critical descriptive information which is especially useful in some context for identifying, using, or otherwise interacting with the entity.  Context is especially important.  The entity may be a physical object or a computational object, such as a data set or an application, or anything else to which there is a need to apply a description.  Any subset of data (i.e., any information associated with or comprising the entity) may be identified as metadata if it satisfies the needs for some context, and there may be multiple metadata sets corresponding to any number of contexts.
Admittedly, this is quite an expansion over the traditional use of the term.  As an example of the expanded use for different contexts, consider the ways in which metadata for a book may be defined and used.  For a librarian, the Library of Congress classification number is likely an important metadata element.  Conversely, for a bookseller, the classification number is not likely to be as important but the current sales price would be (while this price may not be of interest to the librarian).  The text in the book is unlikely to be identified as metadata, but specific quotes from  the book may be metadata for someone advertising the book.

Ken

Frank (and others) - see below