Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Metadata

After an extended period on my day job, it is difficult to know where
to enter this conversation.  Here are thoughts at random.

1. The focus (which I think I prefer to scope) of the RM is software
but many of the concepts are equally applicable to non-software
systems.  Our scoping is not that we will only talk about software
but that our end product does not have to go out of its way to be
complete for non-software domains.  The electric utility example
seems to make a useful point but we don't have to tweak every aspect
of the RM to faithfully account for such an example's details.  On
the other hand, we should not avoid useful examples because they
don't have a strict software interpretation.  (There was a book
example in Appendix C of the 07 draft that demonstrated the idea that
there is no one true set of metadata.  I might like to see that
resurrected.)

2. Who or what processes metadata depends on whether you mean
tomorrow or in 20 years.  Too little of today's metadata is truly
machine-processible but much of the purported power of SOA is
described in scenarios where more automation is assumed than may
currently be realistic.  (I just got done writing 25 pages on the
discovery tangent which you will be thankful I will not get into
here.) We need a way of not restricting metadata to that which is
solely machine-processible while noting that such is the expected and
anticipated direction.

3. The RM is conceptual but those concepts must be related to the
real world in which our clients and sponsors live, otherwise our fine
work will lack relevance and be ignored.  There are expectations of
things we will talk about when talking about an SOA, and we must
either relate to those things or explicitly say why those are
subsumed in the more general concepts and don't need to be explicitly
discussed.

4. There was one thing that started at the last editors' ftf and was
floating on the editors' list and I thought would make it into the
document but didn't was the following example of RM vs. RA. vs.
architecture (A).  With apologies to Frank who wasn't sure he liked
it, here is the example:

> what makes up a house, e.g. room, window, door.  It might include
> the concepts of food preparation area and personal hygiene area and
> the relationship that there should be physical separation between
> the two.  Note that this provides a very North American/western
> Europe reference and not necessarily one that covers a tent.  So a
> given RM already provides a perspective.
>
> Given RA concepts, various RAs show how these concepts can be
> arranged in a useful pattern.  So RA examples would be (sorry for
> the American terms) a colonial, a split-level, a rambler, etc.  You
> can play with the pattern but one can say that any given pattern
> serves a particular set of purposes (e.g. a rambler is on one level
> for those who want/need to avoid stairs).
>
> An architecture is then a specific plan to build a house or set of
> houses.  There can still be some variations but you don't do things
> like moving fireplaces or structural walls, else you have a new
> architecture.

5. I haven't paid significant attention to our write-up of
conformance but I think we need to have a summary section that says
this, this, and this make up SOA and your system looks like that or
it's something different.  I expect that laundry list will still have
enough loopholes to allow for considerable creativity.  So I am not
sure how RFC 2119 will apply; I know I didn't write with 2119 any
more in mind than would unfortunately now be professional reflex.

Enough for now.

Ken