Subject: Re: [soa-rm] SOA Definition - the graphic

Well, here goes ....

1. There is something fundamentally unknowable about the acted upon
resources. Certainly the user of a service never gets to see this.
But even the service provider will often have a hard time pointing to
this.

  If you are updating a database, but the database is replicated,
then which is the resource that you are modifying in response to a
service request? What happens if you swap one database out for
another? There are more examples here; but the essence is that it can
be extremely difficult to pinpoint the resource.

  On the other hand, its not necessary, so why bother?

2. There *is* something else that is both measurable and more
important: what can we expect as a result of a service interaction.

  To fully capture these expectations will, I believe, require a
grounding in the philosophy of signaling systems. However, from a
simplistic PoV, you can think of the owner of the service making
commitments to future actions as a result of service interactions.
(Well, both the owner of the service and the owner of the service
using agent.)

  I.e., a service is better viewed as a communications vehicle by
which service providers and consumers can exchange future
commitments; these themselves being expressed often as further
communications.

3. Why do I bang on about this? Because I have seen some scenarios
where the simple resource model doesn't capture what is going on and
because the communications perspective *does* capture it. Also, while
a service owner might not be a fundamental concept of the RM (it got
voted down); it is still there for 99.99% of business owners :)
  The only negative I can see for the communications perspective is
that it can be harder to grok.

Frank