Subject: RE: [soa-rm] SOA Diagrams

I liked the approach of the puzzle diagram which shows how that all the
concepts fit together within 'SOA.'  Although the new diagram appeals to
the engineering side of me, I don't think it provides a visual to the
less engineering-inclined.

I believe 'in for a penny in for a pound' when it comes to working
toward our charter.  As such, I've strongly advocated that that we
consider how the concept of service represents more than just the
technologist perspective.  Yes, we've restricted ourselves to services
w/in the IT realm, and therefore technology is the cornerstone of our
work. However, we cannot forget that technology without 'the other
stuff' doesn't fill the entire bill.

On that note, I've also struggled with the 'service piece' in the center
of the puzzle diagram because it seems to go against where we're headed
in the RM that recognizes that what is commonly termed 'service' is a
culmination of these concepts together.  Someone (Matt maybe) also
mentioned on a telcon that the positioning of the pieces may suggest
specific relationships between the concepts - which may or may not be
actually intended relationships.

Ok...let me get off my favorite soapbox and put my $$ where my mouth is.
Since I've publicly stated that I'm not 100% on board with either
graphic, I've engaged with our graphics folks here to come up with an
alternative.

Rebekah

Rebekah Metz
Associate