Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Diagram

You can think of visibility as being supported by discoverability (in
all its various forms).
But, in fact, it hints at a very interesting and deep concept that
underlies many aspects of CS. An extreme example: a function call in
a bit of code that invokes a library function. For this function call
to 'work', the caller has to be able to 'see' the callee. In many
languages this is accomplished by setting special flags that tell the
compiler (and link-loader) where to find the library. Similarly, the
library function often has to be specially marked (exported) and
placed in a special library file in a special location (putting a lib
file in /usr/lib amounts to advertising the library).

Thus for the function call to work, there has to be awareness -- a
combination of the programmer specifying the function call and the
compiler knowing where to look. There has to 'willingness' -- the
function has to be ready to accept a call. And there has to be
reachability - the compiled function has to be in a place where the
link-loader and/or OS can access it (and has to be link-compatible
with the caller).

This is an extreme case, but exceptions prove the rule! (The old
meaning of prove as in testing).

Visibility also speaks more to the result of discovery than the
process. Which is initially why I pounced on the term when Ken
introduced it.

I had a lot of nodding of heads at the OMG when I talked about
visibility. People seem to glom on to the idea very naturally.

As far as errors and RWE is concerned, I am aware that there is a
gradation of responses possible when a service consumer interacts
with a service. If you think about withdrawing more cash from one's
bank account than is present in it, the bank will report an error. It
may well also flag the account for possible fraud checking. This
feature is an aspect of the RWE of using the bank that all parties
may be relying on...

Frank