Subject: RE: [soa-rm] Reference Architecture - Definition

Frank,

At first when I read your definition of Reference Architecture I found it a bit vague. The key phrases
that made it seem vague were "set of mechanisms" and "predetermined set of requirements".

I tried different alternative variations of the RA definition in an attempt to come up
with a clear an concise definition. It has been a bit of a frustrating exercise.

Below are the best variations I could come up with.

Variation #1: A reference architecture is an abstract design consisting of a high-level description of it's
design components, services and their relationships, while being devoid of any implementation details.

Variation #2: A reference architecture is an abstract design that is modeled after a reference model.
This reference architecture consists of a high-level description of it's design components, services
and their relationships, while being devoid of any implementation details.

Variation #3: A reference architecture is an abstract design that is based upon a reference model.
The reference architecture consists of a high-level description of it's design components, services
and their relationships, while being devoid of any implementation details.

Now when I re-read your definition it makes more sense and I interpret
"set of mechanisms" as "design components, services and relationships"; and
"predetermined set of requirements" as "reference model".

However, I think that many readers might have the same initial reaction that I did. Does anyone else have any
thoughts on the RA definition?

Regards
Theo
Ps. Below is a minor edit of the RA purpose description you included in your post:

"A reference architecture can be used to guide the realization of implementations where specific properties are desired of the concrete system."