Subject: change of SOA-RM TC chair and quarterly meeting

Dear SOA-RM community,

Duane Nickull has undertaken new responsibilities for his day job at Adobe and felt he could no longer devote the attention necessary for a TC chair.  Under his leadership, the TC turned the idea of a SOA reference model into an OASIS standard in 18 months -- light speed in standards development terms.  A big "thank you" goes to Duane from all of us, and a welcome to the ranks of Voting Member (because the chair does not vote except to break ties).

That leads to the need for a new chair and during the meeting on 21 October 2009, I was chosen to fill that position.  Our major work product, the Reference Architecture Foundation for SOA, remains the same and continues to be chaired by Frank McCabe.  For those of you who have not been following the details of the RA work, you will note a slight change with the addition of "Foundation" to the title of the spec as a result of our discussions with OMG and The Open Group.

There has also been separate discussion of taking on a more concrete example of using the RA, but that is still in the earliest discussion stages.

The fact that such changes have or may occur fits in well with another discussion point at the 21 October meeting:  we should hold regular quarterly RM meetings to provide updates to RM members who are not members of the RA TC.  Scheduling such meetings in advance will allow interested RM members to get a date on their calendars for a focused status on the work, a summary of what has been accomplished in the previous quarter, and what are the plans for the quarter to follow.  It will also make it easier for members to meet attendance requirements to gain or retain voting member status.

For the RM meeting, we chose (somewhat arbitrarily) the third Wednesday of the calendar quarter at the time of the usual RA meeting.  The first quarterly RA meeting will then be 20 January 2010 and you will receive an email notice when I get that on the OASIS calendar.  The quarterly RM meeting will last no more than 90 minutes, and if it finishes sufficiently early, the RA subcommittee will make use of the remaining time.

More immediately, there should be an announcement shortly of a second public review for the RA spec.  If there are questions on this or anything else before the January meeting, feel free to contact me or send you questions/comments to the list.

Ken Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305      phone: 703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                         fax:       703-983-1379