Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Capability vs Function

Thanks for getting the separate thread going, Jeff,

I don't quite agree. Unfortunately "unit of work" doesn't quite capture
what I associate with "function." Function for me means "performance of
an operation", but I could live with "performance of a unit of work" if
we narrow the scope to business functions.

However just to bring up some obvious definitional nuances... When my
eyes function properly, the operation of my sense of vision is achieved,
even if the unit here is continuous successful performance. I noted
"successful" in my example because there is always a range or spectrum
of efficiency also associated with almost any function. Admittedly, some
are booleans, e.g. you're either pregnant or not in terms of fulfilling
the function of reproduction. However, I'm sure we all see the
difficulties in coming to agreement on this one. We have to accommodate
ranges of efficiency over time with the same definition that satisfies
true or false at any given point in time.

Anyway, it should prove to be an interesting discussion.;-)

Cheers,
Rex

--
Rex Brooks