Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Groups - Draft Minutes-SOA-RM TC Mtg, 13 May 2015.doc uploaded

I obviously missed an interesting discussion.  Some quick thoughts:

- from SOA-RM:
  1. A policy represents some constraint or condition on the use, deployment or description of an

  2. owned entity as defined by any participant. A contract, on the other hand, represents an

  3. agreement by two or more parties.

  There is additional discussion in the SOA-RM

- from SOA-RAF
  1.  page34image31080

     Figure 10 Policies, Contracts and Constraints

  2.   Policy

  3.   An _expression_ of constraints made by a stakeholder that the stakeholder commits to uphold and,

  4.   if desired or necessary, enforce. The constraints are usually stated as permissions and

  5.   obligations that affect the behavior of stakeholders or of any actor acting on their behalf.

  1. Contract

  2.   An agreement made by two or more participants (the contracting parties) on a set of conditions

  3.   (or contractual terms) together with a set of constraints that govern their behavior and/or state in

  4.   fulfilling those conditions.

  There is additional discussion in the SOA-RAF

- An entity has a behavior and the behavior may be to follow a process.  The entity needs to be able to respond if the process cannot be followed.

- My interpretation of this is a single entity can declare a policy without a second entity being immediately involved, but a contract requires at least two entities to agree on a set of conditions and/or constraints that make up the contract.  Whoever declares a policy is responsible for its enforcement; participants in a contract typically identify a third party to enforce the contract, e.g. per the laws and processes of some identified jurisdiction.

I am on board with Michael’s paper up to the numbered list on the second page.  I see where the complications arise but I need to read this more carefully to identify where I think we part in current understanding.

Dr. Kenneth Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S F510          phone: 703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                           fax: 703-983-1379
McLean VA 22102-7508