Subject: Re: [soa-rm] guest participant on microservices

Hi All,
 the first thing I'd like Jason to note is that Principles of Service Orientation articulated back in 2004 by Thomas Erl are obsolete since 2009 when Anne Thomas Mannes proclaimed Technology SOA dead. Since that time, I was working on a renuewal of these principles and finally published them in https://www.infoq.com/articles/updated-soa-principles  and, before that, in http://www.ebizq.net/blogs/service_oriented/2009/02/principles_of_service_orientation_reviewed.php .

leitmoptof of these revision was to eliminate texts or titles of the principles that were driven by SOA Technology (like Web Services), and the ones that reflect our work in RAF and replace inconsistent texts or titles. This is the SOA (a part of SO Ecosystem) I consider as "SOA style".

A constraint I would like to see exposed on any implementation of SOA is that the implementation may not compromise Principles of Service Orientation regardless of technology or methodology used. For instance, an application (like SAP) with a bunch of Web Service interfaces is not a service or collection of services; combination of services is only a service and not an application; two applications integrated via Web Services/REST are not services; services that share a common code-base constitute a very bad implementation - coupling by implementation; one service cannot consist of other services - it can orchestrate them rather than include; service of my service is not my service; consumer of my consumer is not my consumer.

Cheers,
- Michael

Sent: Friday, June 03, 2016 at 10:47 PM
From: "Ken Laskey" <klaskey@mitre.org>
To: soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [soa-rm] guest participant on microservices
Jason Calloway of RedHat will attend our call on July 6 to answer our questions on how microservices relate to SOA.  I am most interested in what is fundamental in principle and what is just how it’s done.  I suggest we spend the next few meeting getting our assumptions and questions together.  We can send these to Jason to to set the context for the discussion.

Dr. Kenneth Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S F510          phone: 703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                           fax: 703-983-1379