Subject: micro service resources from IBM

I came across the following IBM sources in my email subscriptions:

Microservices from Theory to Practice Creating Applications in IBM Bluemix Using the Microservices Approach
http://docs.media.bitpipe.com/io_12x/io_129454/item_1283159/Microservices%20from%20Theory%20to%20Practice_Creating%20Applications%20in%20IBM%20Bluemix%20Using%20the%20Microservices%20Approach.pdf

Microservice APIs: Boost monolithic app development

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid4933750844001?bckey=AQ~~,AAAAAGL7FTI~,KqbVcw7NDYoL9iQkcPKc6fSsvdG14ISv&bctid=5023523520001

Both of these are somewhat informative but also stop short of answering many of our questions.  For example, these reinforce the self-contained paradigm but don’t reconcile it with cross microservice communications dependencies.

The first link is to a long document by many contributors and sometimes reads like an aggregation rather than a consistent whole.  I have not finished going through this, so there may be more answers I haven’t gotten to.  My pdf is full of markups with questions.

The second link is a half hour webinar that condenses many of the microservice principles and has some interesting tidbits on nodeJS.  Another thought: llately, I’ve seen the API Gateway products as the replacement for UDDI registries, but it still lacks substance on how to use effectively.

The frustrating part in both is the characterization of SOA as ESB (for “mature” SOA) and WSDL, which together they acknowledge as “heavyweight”, but not the significant discussion that many believed this was the wrong way to approach SOA from the get-go.  Too much of the microservice skin-deep explanation makes it sound like microservices invented modularity and clean interfaces.

Anyway, having cancelled this week’s meeting, I figured I’d add something to keep you all thinking.

Dr. Kenneth Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S F510          phone: 703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                           fax: 703-983-1379