stdsreg message

Subject: [stdsreg] Message to DISA Registry (DRIve) list

TO:  Standards Registry Committee

FYI -- following is the message I sent yesterday to our DISA Registry
(DRIve) interest list about the work of this group, requesting review of
the draft and support for its activities.  Best regards.

Alan Kotok
Editor, < E-Business*Standards*Today />
http://www.disa.org/dailywire/
Data Interchange Standards Association
akotok@disa.org
+1 703-518-4174

=====================

TO:  DISA Registry Initiative (DRIve) list

Standards registry metadata project

At the Interoperability Summit two weeks ago we heard a report from Karl
Best of OASIS and Bob Hager of ANSI on the development of common metadata
to represent e-business standards in registries, certainly a subject of
direct interest to DRIve.  Karl, Bob, and their committee from
organizations in North America and Europe have identified 16 elements and
10 attributes for describing standards, and their work looks quite
promising for achieving the kind of interoperability among registries that
we are seeking with DRIve.

The committee has draft of the metadata available for comments at
http://www.ansi.org/dds/ROOM_70/Public/standards%20reg%20metadata%20def%20v2.5.pdf
.  You can find the Web site for the committee at
http://www.oasis-open.org/stdsreg/ .  And an article on the
Interoperability Summit (authored by humble self) is available on XML.Com
at http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/07/10/interop.html .

DISA has offered DRIve as a test site for the committee's work.  As with
most other voluntary committees and working groups, this one is eager for
more ideas and participation.  See the group's Web site at
http://www.oasis-open.org/stdsreg/ if you would like to take part.

Other news

XML Global, whose software we use in DRIve, has released a new version of
its registry software.  We are in the process of loading it on DISA's
systems and migrating the current prototype content to the new
release.   The new software supports version 2 of the ebXML registry
specifications.  We anticipate a new Web address for DRIve once the
migration is complete.  We will, of course, let you know immediately once
it is available.

Many thanks again for your interest and participation.  Best regards.