tag message

Subject: Notes from TAG meeting 4/30/08

There was no quorum for today's meeting. (Present were Patrick Curran,
Stephen Green, and David Marston.)

Nevertheless, we discussed David's recent message on variables.

Patrick said that this seems convincing - in the Java testing world we
make use of similar "global variables" whose values are determined
during test-suite configuration (via a questionnaire), and which are
passed on to the individual tests. Stephen argued that: there's a
similar concept in document validation.

David: global predicate is narrower than a global variable. (Predicate
is simply true or false - variable can take a numeric value.)

Stephen: any difference between a property with a value and a variable?
David: not necessarily.
Do we need to define both? Probably not...
Stephen: conformance clauses could include values of variables.

We decided to stick to the word "variable" and to refer to properties in
this context.
Stephen will start with the text from David's email, and will ask for
help/clarification if he needs it.

REMINDER: please review and respond to Action Items (see Jacques' recent
message.)