tag message

Subject: Re: [tag] ambiguity in current TAG draft

I agree the last example does not *need* a negative prescription level

> normative source: x MUST NOT do y
>
> target: x
>
> predicate: [target x] does y
>
> prescription level: not permitted

The above is correct use of the *negative* prescription level

> Which so far we do not endorse.
>

> while:
>
> normative source: x MUST NOT do y
>
> target: x
>
> predicate: [target x] does not do y
>
> prescription level: not permitted

This second example should instead be:

 normative source: x MUST NOT do y

 target: x

 predicate: [target x] does not do y

 prescription level: permitted

I would not want to push the argument in favour of 'allowing' or 'accommodating'
the negative prescription levels too much. However, the main argument in their
favor seems to me to be the fact that they do already exist as a standard in the
relevant RFC and this is probably for a good reason. After all, they
need not exist
in specifications either since the requirement could have been written

 normative source: x MUST not do y

But is there *ever* a subtle difference between

 normative source: x MUST not do y
 and
 normative source: x MUST NOT do y

?

I suspect there is but that to regard the MUST NOT as redundant in favor of
'MUST not' is probably not going to do much harm. It might be worth endorsing
a three-positive-value-only prescription level codelist just for the
benefit of being
able then to say that a predicate MUST always evaluate to 'true' when fuliflling
the normative requirement(s). So I'm happy to drop the argument since there is
some benefit in doing so and the benefit of keeping the 'MUST NOT' equivalent
Prescription Level and 'SHOULD NOT' equivalent is not easy to see or
demonstrate. However I have a feeling it does exist in more complex cases - but
that can be left to a more advanced treatment of TAs which might endorse the
corresponding extension of the prescription level list.

Best regards

Steve

--
Stephen D. Green