tag message

Subject: New Member Introduction

Hello,

Allow me to introduce myself.  My name is Dennis Hamilton.

I am a new member of the TAG TC.  I look forward to participating on the
next TC Meeting call on 2009-06-23.

I have corresponded with some of you with regard to the OASIS ODF
Interoperability and Conformance (OIC) TC reliance on the Test Assertion
Guidelines as part of the guidelines that we are charged with producing with
regard to ODF format, consumer, producer, and processor testing.

I have been nominated to serve as the OIC TC liaison to the TAG TC (to be
finalized on our next meeting call, 2009-06-17.  You might want to consider
reciprocating, using myself or another member of the TAG TC who is willing
to also be a member of the OIC TC (preferable - we can always use more
members [;<).

With regard to my interest in the TAG subject matter, I was awakened to the
possibilities and the work that has been done in the area of testing by a
presentation of David Marston.  Historically, I was part of one of the early
efforts to create a software testing and assurance team at Remington Rand
Univac around 1961.  I hated it then and, as a 22-year-old hacker, certainly
resisted it.  Although I did testing and acceptance of a Fortran compiler
for a small computer system (in capacity, not tonnage), it was a rather
random process and the quality was assured more by its Donald Knuth, Joe
Speroni, and William C. Lynch authorship than my ministrations.  (I found
few bugs, but a couple were wonderful howlers.)

Although my recent career has been focused on electronic documents, document
management, and document processing, I also have increased my interest in
software engineering and the development of dependable systems in that and
other contexts.  With what little maturity I have gained comes a
steadfastness around rigor, accountability, and demonstrability of
trustworthiness (not so much schedule, but code quality) in the delivery of
computer software.  So the information on the great progress that Test
Assertions reflects reached my attention at just the right time.

I look forward to this opportunity to contribute to application and
acceptance of the Test Assertion Guidelines.

 - Dennis

Dennis E. Hamilton
NuovoDoc: Design for Document System Interoperability
mailto:Dennis.Hamilton@acm.org | gsm:+1-206.779.9430
http://NuovoDoc.com http://ODMA.info/dev/ http://nfoWorks.org