tag message

Subject: RE: [tag] reminder for feedback on CN TA guidelines

Sorry for the delay.  My weekend did not go as intended at all, although I enjoyed it very much [;<).

The only things I noticed have to do with links.

In the front matter, the links are to HTML versions.  HTML versions are not reliable as authentic documents.  It would be better to link to web pages that provide all of the available forms and the user gets to have a sense for how big they are and what format they want.

This is something for Chet to think about, since the front page belongs to the TC Administrator.  (Considering how big some documents are, people can be shocked who do not have broadband, are attempting access by dial-up or a smartphone, etc.).  I notice that the latest documents are currently the PRDs, but that is not a problem.

In Section 1.1, there are direct references to PDF documents.  That is very unfortunate.  It commits one to a PDF download to follow those links at all.  I think having links to HTML pages that provide links to the actual downloads and give the user a choice of format to download is a better deal.  If there were such a provision on the front page, the same link should be used in the references.

(It is easy enough to put a summary and link page in the directory that holds the latest versions.  I wouldn't do an index page, because index-level access to the complete folder is still useful.)

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: tag@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:tag@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Jacques Durand
Sent: Friday, December 16, 2011 16:28
To: tag@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: dennis.hamilton@acm.org
Subject: [tag] reminder for feedback on CN TA guidelines

All:

Reminder  for your comments on the new TA Guidelines format:

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tag/document.php?document_id=44612

(look especially for editorial / formatting flaws)

If no feedback by end of Monday, I would initiate an approval ballot, to approve it as a CN draft and for a 15-day public review  (followed after the PR by a CN ballot which would be the end game, if no comments need be addressed).

Thanks!

Jacques