tax message

Subject: RE: [tax] Tax XML Suggested Direction

Thanks to John and Michael for their work in drafting an approach.  I'm
concerned that it may not be as pragmatic as needed and may take too long to
achieve tangible results beneficial to member organizations.  Rather, I'd
propose a staged approach with a series of smaller, less complex, discrete
deliverables that can deliver tangible value on a more timely basis.

As a starting point, the desired result, postulated by John may be fine as
written, i.e. "an XML standard that can be used to facilitate the
interchange of tax-related information between entities engaged in any
aspect of the tax compliance process".

A staged approach would involve:

1. Focus on Business Context:  canvass the members of the Technical Chapter
(TC) to identify our top 5 interoperability problems/issues/opportunities
where a Tax XML standard may provide value; this would serve to clarify why
we are engaged in the TC, what we hope to accomplish, how we may make use of
the results, and how they will be beneficial to our organizations.

2. Synthesize Member Input:  identify common problems/issues/opportunities
providing a basis for collaboration.

3. Review Existing Tax-related XML Standards:  analyse current standards
classifying tax information (non-XML and XML classification schemas), e.g.
GIFI, ebXML, XBRL, TaXML, etc. their strengths, weaknesses and how they are
being used by member organizations and others; determine if existing
standards could or should be used to address common issues; if not, define
the gap - what more is needed.

4. Define a plan of action:  the plan should use real projects being
undertaken by members of the TC both to address business goals and, at the
same time, contribute to an emerging Tax XML standard.  In other words,
build the standard incrementally showing tangible benefits throughout the
journey.  In developing the plan, carefully consider the scope and confirm
short term deliverables, e.g. the emerging standard, a body of best
practices, tool kits, implementation guidelines, etc.