tc-announce message

Subject: (ANN) Proposed Charter for OASIS Web Experience Management Interoperability (WEMI) Technical Committee

To OASIS Members:

A draft TC charter has been submitted to establish the OASIS Web Experience Management Interoperability (WEMI) Technical Committee. In accordance with the OASIS TC Process Policy section 2.2: (http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process-2009-07-30.php#formation) the proposed charter is hereby submitted for comment. The comment period shall remain open until 11:45 pm ET on 12 December 2011.

OASIS maintains a mailing list for the purpose of submitting comments on proposed charters. Any OASIS member may post to this list by sending email to: oasis-charter-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org. All messages will be publicly archived at: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oasis-charter-discuss/. Members who wish to receive emails must join the group by selecting "join group" on the group home page: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/oasis-charter-discuss/. Employees of organizational members do not require primary representative approval to subscribe to the oasis-charter-discuss e-mail.

A telephone conference will be held among the Convener, the OASIS TC Administrator, and those proposers who wish to attend within four days of the close of the comment period. The announcement and call-in information will be noted on the OASIS Charter Discuss Group Calendar.

We encourage member comment and ask that you note the name of the proposed TC (WEMI TC) in the subject line of your email message.

=== Proposed Charter

1.a Name of the TC

OASIS Web Experience Management Interoperability (WEMI) Technical Committee

1.b Statement of Purpose

Web Experience Management (WEM) is a redefinition or evolution of Web Content Management (WCM). Where WCM provides the foundation for collaboration by offering users the ability to manage content, WEM emphasizes the importance of the delivery of the aggregated content into a total Web Experience.

The purpose of the Web Experience Management Interoperability (WEMI) TC will be to define a simple domain model for WEM and an abstract feature set to be commonly implemented by WCM/WEM Systems. The TC shall also work in a forward looking manner and identify features that are useful but are not available in existing systems. It is a goal to explicitly use existing systems as a point of reference but be open towards extensions that may be generally useful.

Beyond the domain model and the features set, the TC will also specify a default binding as a lightweight, resource-oriented, HTTP-based protocol that will be focused on ease of consumption from today's web browsers (and web browser-like systems) as well as serversided integration technologies. Based on the evolution of WEM into the mobile space, the WEMI TC will include a particular focus on small processing and network overhead.

1.c Scope of Work

The TC will accept input from various vendors' existing interfaces and domain models and other contributions for consideration without any prejudice or restrictions. These inputs will be evaluated based on technical merit in so far as they conform to this charter.

For the initial set of deliverables, the TC will target a very focused set of use cases:

Display and Mashup Content from a WCM
Index Content and Metadata
Export all Content / Migration

The following use cases are out-of-scope for the initial set of deliverables:

Entitlement and Access Control
Versioning and Records Management
Data Ingestion / Write operations

Also, this TC will engage in maintenance of the specifications it produces.

The tasks of the TC include:

To articulate the principles of WEMI through formal specifications
To assess the relationship of WEMI to related standards and industry efforts including (but not limited to) CMIS, WebDAV, and JCR (JSR-170, JSR-283)
To define appropriate specifications for WEMI:
Abstract domain model, feature set, and operations
Lightweight, resource-oriented HTTP bindings

The TC shall also support the effort of producing a reference implementation and test suite that validate the specifications, both deliverables will be implemented as community open source projects.

Maintenance

Once the TC has completed work on a deliverable and it has become an OASIS Standard, the TC will enter "maintenance mode" for the deliverable.

The purpose of maintenance mode is to provide minor revisions to previously adopted deliverables to clarify ambiguities, inconsistencies, and obvious errors. Maintenance mode is not intended to enhance a deliverable or extend its functionality.

The TC will collect issues raised against the deliverables and periodically process those issues. Issues that request or require new or enhanced functionality shall be marked as enhancement requests and set aside. Issues that result in the clarification or correction of the deliverables shall be processed. The TC shall maintain a list of these adopted clarifications and shall new minor revision of the deliverables including these updates.

After the first set of deliverables has been completed, the TC will continue to work on the next version of the specification. The next version may address new use cases or refine existing ones by extending the domain model and expanding on the feature set.

1.d List of Deliverables

The initial set of deliverables and projected duration:

WEMI Abstract Domain model and feature set specification (September 2012)
WEMI resource oriented HTTP binding specification (September 2012)

1.e IPR Mode

The IP mode for the TC will be RF on Limited Terms

1.f Audience for the TC

The primary audience for the final output of this TC includes architects from WEM/WCM vendors and implementers, as well as system architects from organizations that use WEM systems.

1.g Language

The language in which the TC shall conduct business: English

Section 2: Non-normative Information

2.a Other Work

Identification of similar or applicable work that is being done in other OASIS TCs or by other organizations:

WebDAV: Not Targeted at WEM
CMIS: Not Targeted at WEM
JCR: Not Targeted at WEM

2.b First Meeting

Date, time and place of the first TC meeting: 16:00 UTC (17:00 CET/11:00 EST/8:00 PST), 16-January-2012, teleconference hosted by Adobe

2.c Ongoing Meeting Schedule

One-hour teleconferences will be held monthly and face-to-face meetings may be held occasionally. Meeting times and F2F locations will be determined by consensus of the TC members. The initial meeting schedule will be confirmed at the first TC meeting.

To be as inclusive and accommodating as possible, the TC will conduct its technical work primarily via its email list and issues tracker. Teleconferences and F2F meetings will serve platforms to reach consensus on outstanding issues.

2.d Proposers

Names, electronic mail addresses, and membership affiliations of at least Minimum Membership:

Cedric Huesler, Adobe, chuesler@adobe.com
Craig Randall, Adobe, craig@adobe.com
David Nuescheler, Adobe, david.nuescheler@adobe.com
Peeter Piegaze, Adobe, ppiegaze@adobe.com
Arje Cahn, Hippo, a.cahn@onehippo.com
Ate Douma, Hippo, a.douma@onehippo.com
Berry van Halderen, Hippo, b.halderen@onehippo.com
Serge Huber, Jahia, serge.huber@jahia.com
James Falkner, Liferay, james.falkner@liferay.com
Boris Kraft, Magnolia, boris.kraft@magnolia-cms.com
Philipp Barfuss, Magnolia, philipp.baerfuss@magnolia-cms.com
Florent Guillaume, Nuxeo, fg@nuxeo.com
Bertrand De Coatpont, OpenText, blebesco@opentext.com
Conleth O'Connell, OpenText, oconnell@opentext.com
Jens Huebel, OpenText Corporation, jhuebel@opentext.com
Dennis van der Veeke, SDL Tridion, dvanderveeke@sdl.com
Dominique Leblond, SDL Tridion, dleblond@sdl.com

2.e Primary Representative Statements of Support

Carl Cargill, Adobe: "Adobe supports the OASIS WEMI TC charter as it is written. We believe the WEMI standard will improve the state of web experience management tools and result in a more positive experience for web users everywhere. We intend to support WEMI in our products and will support the specification development as well."

Arje Cahn, Hippo: "Hippo B.V., the company behind Hippo CMS, supports the OASIS WEMI TC charter. The ability to bring together different streams of information from disparate content systems using a standardized API is part of our vision for a more contextualized web experience. We intend to support WEMI in our Hippo CMS product line.

Serge Huber, Jahia: "Jahia supports the WEMI TC charter. Jahia's next generation open source CMS has been relying, since its inception, on the vision of convergence between all types and sources of content through all web applications from web, document to portal, then, most recently, from collaborative to social content. That's why we believe the WEMI standard will help users break free from content silos and promote the use of open and interoperable technologies. We hope to work with other players in the open source industry to make sure that this new standard is as widely used as possible."

James Falkner, Liferay: "Liferay fully supports the OASIS WEMI TC Charter. We see immense benefits to improving the interoperability of WCM systems and enabling rich content consumption on modern web experience platforms."

Philipp Baerfuss, Magnolia: "Magnolia supports the OASIS WEMI TC charter. We know the benefits standardization brings to our customers and look forward to help define this important step in the future of Web Experience Management. We will share lessons learned from our own standardized publishing framework, Magnolia's Standard Templating Kit, and intend to support WEMI in Magnolia CMS."

Florent Guillaume, Nuxeo: "Nuxeo supports the OASIS WEMI TC charter. We believe it will be a good complement to OASIS CMIS and will help the development of powerful tools taking advantage of both standards."

Richard Anstey, OpenText "OpenText supports the OASIS WEMI TC charter. We believe our experience with our own OpenText Web Experience Management product line will be instrumental in defining this standard. We are looking forward to collaborate with other key organizations on this definition, in order to help delivering a more positive experience for web users."

Kristen James Eberlein, SDL: "SDL enthusiastically supports the OASIS WEMI charter."

2.f Convenor
David Nuescheler, Adobe, david.nuescheler@adobe.com

2.j Proposed Specification Titles

Web Experience Management Interoperability, Abstract Domain Model and Feature Set Definition
Web Experience Management Interoperability, Resource Oriented HTTP Bindings

Best Regards,

/chet
Chet Ensign
http://www.oasis-open.org