tgf message

Subject: TGF Pattern Language work

Hi,

Somewhat belatedly, I can give an update on work being done of the drat Pattern Language

Attached is an interim, incomplete draft (WD02) of the TGF-PL deliverable.

Following the working group meeting held two weeks ago, I proceeded with the first steps in a methodology:

-          Identify each and every conformance criterion in the TGF Primer

-          From the criteria, identify possible “candidate” patterns;

-          Add patterns that contribute to the whole;

-          Remove patterns that are redundant or can be better expressed as part of a larger pattern;

I then started the work of transposing text from the TGF Primer to the Pattern Language document:

-          Identify the core “imperative” statement for each pattern, based on the conformance statement in the Primer;

-          Add text that relates a particular pattern to others;

-          Add text that serves as the prose body of the pattern, taken from the Primer and other contributions;

-          Add references back to the Primer where appropriate in the “completion” statement of each pattern;

As a result of a couple of cycles, the number of proposed patterns has gone up and down and has now stabilised at under 40.

The interim result attached reflects this process applied systematically.

As a result,

-          the first 15 patterns are finished;

-          another half dozen are nearly finished;

-          the skeleton of the remaining patterns is in place

As I am “in the zone”, I’m happy to continue this tomorrow and should be able to complete another dozen or so of the patterns but after that I will be travelling for the remainder of the week.

Can I ask all members of the TC to:

-          take a look and give any comments about whether the draft is going in the right direction;

-          indicate whether the completed patterns satisfy the conformance criteria that we have nominally indicated in the Primer;

-          submit any comments or queries on the nature and content of the document.

Can you also indicate whether you will be able to lend a hand at writing a few patterns, now that the structure and practice is clearer. As an indication, you should allow 30-45 minutes per pattern to go through the steps outlined above. I will continue tomorrow in any case, proceeding sequentially through the text. I will then only be able to return to this after tomorrow on Sunday 12th and Monday 13th.

If you are willing to write some patterns, please let me know, and I will send you the .docx file to work with.

For reference, we are due to decide at our TC meeting on Thursday 16th:

-          whether to proceed with moving this working draft to a full “Committee Specification Draft” – which involves shifting the content to the new formal template and completing the set of patterns, at least as a first draft;

-          agreeing a timetable to finish a first formal draft for adoption by the Committee and releasing it for public review

Best regards,

Peter

Peter F Brown

Independent Consultant

Transforming our Relationships with Information Technologies

www.peterfbrown.com

P.O. Box 49719, Los Angeles, CA 90049, USA

Tel: +1.310.694.2278

Member of:

Follow me:

TGF-PL-v1 0-wd02-incomplete-2011-06-06.pdf