Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj-comment] Comments on Use Case

(Sorry for double posting: Suellen started the thread on tm-pubsubj-comment, but IMO
it is more technical TC work, and should be followed on tm-pubsubj)

We need maybe some clarifications. I'll try to make a clear distinction between
different viewpoints, herafter called (subject) "Source", "Publisher", "Author" and
"User", because it seems to me that both Mary's proposition and Suellen answer
somehow mix those different viewpoints.

"Source" is the primary reference creator/publisher of the subject(s). It should be an
(authoritative) entity, managing, editing, publishing a legacy of taxonomy,
classification, thesaurus, vocabulary ...*under any form*.
ex: Library of Congress is Source for LCC categories, DCMI is Source for Dublin Core
elements ... The primary reference is generally not (so far) a Published Subject (in the
sense we are trying to define in this TC), e.g. it might not be a stable on-line resource.

"Publisher" may be

-- either a "Source" entity wanting to make its resources available as a set of
standardized Published Subjects. For example Library of Congress could want to
make its categories available as Published Subjects (let's dream for a while). In that
case, Publisher and Source are the same entity, and all is the best concerning
validation, IPR, management. That is the use case we should recommend and aim to.
We should provide existing entities with recommendations and methodology to make
their legacy available as standardized Published Subjects, and not make that work on
their behalf, which would be "foolhardy" and silly, as Suellen points out accurately.

-- either an entity already using part of whole of one of the above classifications, and
wanting to make them available as a set of Published Subjects, because the Source is
not able or willing to do so. For example Vanderblit University Library would like to
make LCC they use in their documentation management available as Published
Subjects, because Library of Congress has not made it. In that case, the Publisher
acts as a proxy for the Source, and of course it creates specific issues of validation,
update, IPR, and a duplication of efforts. This could be used as a transition process, to
kick off the bootstrap of Published Subjects wider adoption, but should not be a
generally recommended process.

"Author" is a Topic Map creator and editor, that will use authoritative and trustable
Published Subjects whenever available for its needs, through <subjectIndicatorRef>.
The relevancy and accuracy of the reference is completely under the responsibility of
the Author, and yes, it is a knowledge expert work, and no, you should not let children
play with that knife. If you are not clear and use a reference to an explicit and crystal-
clear Published Subject *cancer* for a Topic gathering documents about *pneumonia*,
well, you are a non-knowledgeable Author ... and too bad for the users of your work ...
but there is something the Publisher can do about it: refuse to register this Topic Map
in its Published Subjects declaration like a referenced <user>

Now if the Author is working on behalf of a Publisher, itself a Source ... that's as best
as one can get: e.g. a Topic Map published and validated under direct Libray of
Congress authority, using LC Published Subjects based on LCC ... will certainly be
more trustable than one of some obscure Author referring to some obscure Publisher
using LCC in some non-controlled way ...

And of course, any Author can become a "local Publisher" by setting a set of specific
Published Subjects for the need of a small community. And of course the use of
Published Subjects and the use at all of Subject Indicators is optional ...

Now for the metaphysical question "Is the Published Subject I use, as an Author, the
best one?" there is no technical answer. But Publisher could help by being itself, and
making potential Authors, aware of Published Subjects equivalent to its own, and
making them visible and available. That is the role of the <equivalent> element in the
proposed DTD. To quote Suellen's example, if I use DDC and am not aware of LCC,
OTOH maybe DDC Published Subjects authority is aware of LCC, and refers to them.
But that is up to the DDC Publisher to include in its Published Subjects references to
<equivalent> LCC, and the other way round.

So, I suppose we should think about Dublin Core use in that spirit:

1. We have several Sources, will they be Publishers?
2. If not, who's gonna do it?
3. How will we provide Publishers the more simple way to link consistently with each
other?

Bernard