Subject: [tm-pubsubj-comment] ISSUE 11 - Topic Naming Constraint

Bernard wrote (in
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tm-pubsubj/docs/recommendations/issues.htm):

>-- The "name" metadata is likely to be used as base name by
>    topic maps authors.

I assume you mean "title" (or "dc:title", not "name")?

>-- What are the consequences in terms of Topic Naming
>    Constraint?
>
>Proposal:
>
>See above: if the domain of a PS Doc is consistent, the TNC
>should apply to the PS Doc itself.
>
>Two distinct PSIs in a PS Doc shall have distinct "name"
>metadata.

(Again, I assume you mean "title", if you are talking in terms
of DC.)

This is a thorny one. At the moment I tend to agree with you:
the names of subjects, as indicated by the dc:title property of
the PSI should be unique within the PSI set.

That means, for example, that I am precluded from creating a
single PSI set for operas written by Italian verismo composers,
since there are two called "La Bohème". (They were written by
Puccini and Leoncavallo, respectively, and first performed
within 15 months and [the distance between Milan and Venice] of
each other, so they could in theory belong to the same quite
narrow domain.)

I would have to have a PSI set for Puccini's operas and another
for Leoncavallo's operas. I could live with that, but I'd like
others to comment on the practical implications of effectively
requiring PSI sets to establish name spaces.

Which raises the point that what Bernard is calling the "domain"
of the PS Doc is really a scope, in topic map terms. Which in
turn means that we really have to articulate very clearly what
it means to specify the "domain", and what effects this can
have.

It may also mean that my proposal to use "keywords" instead of
"domain" was not such a good idea after all. Perhaps we need both?

Steve

--
Steve Pepper, Chief Executive Officer <pepper@ontopia.net>
Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34/WG3  Editor, XTM (XML Topic Maps)