Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj-comment] ISSUE 9 - PS Doc scope (domain) of use

[Bernard, you forgot to Cc: the list, so I am quoting all of your comments,
even if I don't comment on them myself.]

At 12:15 25/04/02 +0200, Bernard Vatant wrote:
> > What is dc:domain? I can't find it at www.dublincore.org...
>
>Oops - an hallucination of mine :)
>This is not a DC element of course. Will correct the document

To what? dc:subject? (Not dc:coverage, I hope?)

> > Do we want to
> >
> > (1) give humans an indication of the kind of PSIs to expect in
> > the PSI set?
>
>What do you mean "type"? If that means the subjects in the PS Doc should
>belong to a same
>class, itself well identified, then well, that's not the way I see it. I
>see the domain
>really more like a scope. But there is no scope on subject identity,
>right? That is a
>thing I've always been uneasy with ... see below.

I didn't say "type", I said "kind of". I agree that we don't want to
constrain PSI sets to only include PSIs that are instances of a single class.

> > (2) enable computers to find potentially relevant PSI sets based
> > on something equivalent to keyword searching?
>
>Maybe. I don't figure that very well.
>
> > If (1), then surely dc:description is sufficient:
>
> > If (2), then surely dc:subject is most appropriate:
>
>Agreed
>
> > Since topic maps don't have terminology for this particular thingy, we
> could
> > use the term "keywords".
>
>TM do have (had) a very good terminology available for that IMO. It's
>called scope. But
>the spec restricted too much the use of scope. I keep convinced that if we
>had allowed
>e.g. <scope> under <subjectIndicatorRef> we would be happy with it now. If
>you consider
><subjectIndicatorRef> as a shortcut for an association between a topic and
>a subject
>indicator, it should be allowed to be scoped  - BTW as <instanceOf>. But
>this is a
>rearguard fight I'm afraid ;-).

It wouldn't hurt backwards compatibility, so it could be done. In fact, the
work on the Reference Model and Standard Application Model might lead to
the same conclusion.

Steve

--
Steve Pepper, Chief Executive Officer <pepper@ontopia.net>
Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34/WG3  Editor, XTM (XML Topic Maps)