Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj-comment] ISSUE ? Look at XML Namespaces

(This posting is based on a number of guesses as to what your original
proposal actually was. If they are wrong I apologize and hope that you
will correct me.)

* Thomas Bandholtz

| In a topicmap this could look as follows:
|
| <xtm:topicMap xmlns:xtm='http://topicmap.org/schema'>
|   <!-- the 'topic' element's namespace is http://topicmap.org/schema -->
|   <xtm:topic ... >....</xtm:topic>
| </xtm:topicMap>
|
| This really works and is validated by the parser. I use something
| similar since month.

This is fine, except that you are using the wrong namespace URI. XTM
has a namespace URI. If you'd used that the above would have imported
just fine into the OKS.

| But this is not about PSI. Let's add a psi attribute to the sample
| [...]
|
|  xtm:psi="otp:pepper"

As far as I can tell, this boils down to a proposal that we extend the
syntax of XTM so that you can use namespace prefixes to abbreviate
URIs in xlink:href attributes in XTM documents. We could do that, of
course, but what would be the point? It would just be an abbreviation
mechanism, and there are actually some serious problems with it.

| We wouldn't necessarily need "psins", it would work using xmlns as
| well.

Yes. XSLT and many other XML specifications use that approach, and I
think that's perfectly OK.

| The xmlns working draft also discusses "The Internal Structure of
| XML Namespaces". This reads quite interesting, but it is not
| applicable for PSI doc, IMO. For xmlns, the internal structure is
| XML schema. For PSI, the internal structure is PSI doc, still to be
| defined.

This sounds as though you are thinking that we will make an XML
vocabulary for PSDs. So far the consensus has been that we don't need
to, as HTML, XTM, and RDF/XML are already out there and fully able to
do what we want to do.

| This would make it easy to use existing code sets that are not
| formally PSI docs, like ISBN: or IATA: and many others.

How? ISBNs already have a URN scheme, so they don't need any help from
us. As far as I know there is no IATA URN scheme (though I could be
wrong), and I don't see how using XML namespaces would solve anything
with respect to these code sets. Could you explain?