Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj-comment] Tuesday conference

Thomas

Certainly I will repeat myself here. All that stuff I've already scattered in several
messages in this or other forums archives. But it will be quicker for me to repeat than to
browse the archives for it :))

Steve have come lately to the conclusion that Topic Maps is not a good option for PSD, out
of technical considerations.
My view has been the same from the beginning of this TC process, but out of both political
and conceptual arguments.
It's interesting to notice that we get to the same conclusion from different ways.

The political arguments I've already stressed. Locking PSIs in Topic Maps realm and
technology is certainly not a good move if we want wide-spread and quick adoption. We are
not sure at all of wide-spread adoption of Topic Maps technology, but I'm strongly
convinced that Published Subjects have a potential scope of application much wider than
Topic Maps, even if it's currently difficult to figure what is or will be the exact
extension of that scope.

The conceptual argument I want to repeat, because I think it is the most important one.
Published Subjects ambition is to build a bridge between the "formal addressable" universe
(where Topic Maps belong) and the "unformal non-addressable" universe of real world
subjects (where publishers and users leave). Steve Newcomb speaks (in its chapter of the
to-be published book on Topic Maps) of two cliffs separated by this chasm that everyday's
use of language and conversation is bridging efficiently, but that is very difficult to
bridge in our information systems. When I speak of Janus Bifrons looking inside and
outside the doors, in the gentle introduction to Published Subjects, I think I am speaking
about the same thing.

If we use Topic Maps for definition of Published Subjects, we are putting them on the same
"left-hand" cliff of the chasm, and all difficulty may disappear indeed, because it's not
a bridge anymore.

We have strong foundations on the left-hand side (including, but not only, topic maps). We
have hard time to figure the foundations on the other side. Sure enough. But wanting to
build a bridge from one side only looks to me like being the fool searching for his keys
on the lightened side of the street - because it's easier to search in the light -
although he knows he lost them on the dark side.

Regards

Bernard

PS : We shall overcome ... :))