Subject: [tm-pubsubj-comment] TAP Knowledge Base as published subjects

I just had a discussion with Dan Brickley on the #topicmaps channel
about published subjects and the TAP Knowledge Base[1]. He raised the
idea that it should be possible or TAP to provide published subjects
for people to use.

Having thought about it I think TAP provides a very interesting use
case for published subjects. If what we're doing makes sense, it
should be possible to use all of TAP as published subjects, without
too much ado.

There is one problem, however. Here's one snippet from the KB:

<rdfs:Class rdf:about='http://tap.stanford.edu/kb/1YearOldBabyToy'>
      <a:plural> 1-year-old baby toys
</a:plural>
      <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource='http://tap.stanford.edu/kb/BabyToy'/>
      <rdfs:label xml:lang='en'> 1-year-old baby toy
</rdfs:label>
</rdfs:Class>

If you follow the URIs used in the KB you get RDF fragments back. The
HTML rendition of each RDF node, however, has a different URI. I am
not sure exactly what this means, but I think we should consider this
and work out what, if anything, the TAP people need to do for their KB
to become a published subject set.

[1] <URL: http://tap.stanford.edu/tapkb/ >