Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj-comment] Published vs Public

At 22:49 20/08/02 +0200, Bernard Vatant wrote:
>So it seems to me that Deliverable 1 introduction should take that point
>into account, and
>replace existing references to the "Web" (semantic or otherwise) to a more
>generic
>"network" defined as a system where humans and machines want to exchange
>information about
>subjects, and where resources that network's members have access to are
>addressable
>through URIs (definition subject to re-wording). The same way we moved the
>specification
>from specific "topic maps" to a more generic "applications" ...
>
>Waiting the consensus on that to furbish the prose accordingly - not much
>to do actually.

I agree 100%. As far as I was concerned, this was also the rationale for the
change of name from 13250 to XTM, which has since been adopted by WG3. The SAM
also uses "published" and I know of nobody who wants to revert back to the old
terminology.

We should use the terminology that best captures the full generality, so
"network"
is more appropriate than "Web" - although you might consider using the Web to
exemplifying what we mean by a network, e.g. "a network (such as the Web)",
if you
think that might make things more explicit.

Steve

--
Steve Pepper, Chief Executive Officer <pepper@ontopia.net>
Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34/WG3  Editor, XTM (XML Topic Maps)