Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj-comment] New Deliverable 1 draft

At 10:43 PM 8/21/2002 +0200, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

>  - Section 2.3: A more serious problem with unpublished subject
>    indicators is that usually they are not unambiguous. That is,
>    people might conceivably use the same subject identifier to mean
>    different things. The second example shows this very clearly. Is
>    the subject apples in general, the kind of apple of which the one
>    pictured is an instance, that particular apple, red apples (as
>    opposed to yellow or green ones), or something else?

Exactly. Take a look at this. http://www.212.net/apples/apple9.htm There
are many subjects, even though it is a classification for "apple." For this
kind of prose resource, how would we create subject indicators? Create
named anchors for each of the subjects?

Bernard, I like your first diagram. I guess that I would like to see only
the essential definition with with genus and species. I think we need to
ask, what is the minimum content for  the unambiguous identity of the
subject "apple."

In your second diagram, the graphic would really be considered an
occurrence, not the subject indicator? Best to leave the picture out or
explain that it is an occurrence?

Now if the subject was a "red delicious apple" then the picture for this
more specific instance be considered a subject indicator, not the occurrence?

Cheers,
Mary