Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj-comment] Re: [topicmapmail] ANN: UNSPSC topic mapavailable

[A bit off-topic perhaps, though some might find this interesting.]

I wrote:

[...]
> The UNSPSC is certainly important for business use, but the reason
> I gave a go at the Cyc ontology (however misguided it or myself may
> be in attempting to use it) was to provide *one possible* common
> framework ontology upon which sub-ontologies could be attached, just
> as you have been discussing. Ie., so that if somebody publishes a
> topic map within a specific domain, they can hook certain parts
> (perhaps the root of their taxonomy) into an existing framework.
> There's the IEEE SUO ontology and then whatever gets cooked up by
> the W3C.

Bob Parks responded privately to me on this issue, and I began
writing a reply. This ended up in the middle of a conversation
I was having with Jon Awbrey at the time, part of which is posted
at

    http://kmi.open.ac.uk/projects/ceryle/thoughts/ontodum1.html

This is all pretty confusing/confused, as it's unedited, but there
may be still something of interest. A draft of my reply to Bob is at

    http://kmi.open.ac.uk/projects/ceryle/thoughts/clue.html

which includes a sneak peak at Ceryle's graph visualization for
those who might be interested. There's a topic map editor lurking...

Murray

Murray Altheim                  <http://kmi.open.ac.uk/people/murray/>
Knowledge Media Institute
The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK

            If you're the first person in a new territory,
            you're likely to get shot at.
                                                     -- ma