Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj-comment] Baltimore minutes

At 04:43 30.12.2002 +0100, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
>Given the choice between stability and memorability I believe we
>should choose stability every single time. In fact, the two are
>fundamentally opposed, because having identifiers that are meaningful
>to humans means there will be reasons to change those identifiers
>based on what they mean to humans. (The ROM -> ROU change in ISO 3166
>is an excellent example of this.) If the identifiers are meaningless,
>on the other hand, this is not a problem.

I agree, and this was also the point made at the meeting. We lean
towards human memorability where possible, but not to the detriment
of stability. Bernard, can you modify the second bullet under 5.
accordingly?

Steve

--
Steve Pepper, Chief Executive Officer <pepper@ontopia.net>
Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34/WG3  Editor, XTM (XML Topic Maps)