Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj-comment] Pub Sub working draft comments

Bernard Vatant scripsit:

> | How are addresses compared ? Straightforward string comparison is not
> | necessarily a guaruntee that two addresses are not the same:
> | http://www.techquila.com/ and http://www.techquila.com/index.html
> | address the same resource because of server-side processing. Similarly
> | typing techquila.com into my browser gets me the same resource because
> | of a combination of client-side and server-side processing.
>
> Kal, I think you get mixed-up here. When the strings are strictly
> *equal*, the resource is the same. That we are sure of. Full stop.

Indeed.  Certain changes to the URI keep the resource the same, such as
changing the case of the hostname in those URI schemes that contain one.
But the identity of foo/ and foo/index.html is purely one of result --
they may return the same entity bodies at all times, but they are
different resources, just as different clocks are different resources
even if they are always in agreement.

In any case, there is no reason why PSIs shouldn't insist on a single
string with a single spelling, just as is done for XML namespaces.

--
John Cowan           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan@ccil.org
To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all.  There