Subject: [tm-pubsubj-comment] Comments from Dave Beckett

Dave Beckett is editor of some of the RDF specifications, so this is
really good. His comments are spot-on, too.

I think the draft should be *very* careful when using the term
"resource". SAM consistently says "information resource", and defines
it to be a (potentially) network-retrievable resource. I think this
document should follow suit to avoid the problem that RFC 2396 defines
"resource" to essentially be equivalent to "subject". RDF people are
going to be seriously confused if we don't do this, I think.

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 06:26, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> Dave Beckett is editor of some of the RDF specifications, so this is
> really good. His comments are spot-on, too.

> I think the draft should be *very* careful when using the term
> "resource". SAM consistently says "information resource", and defines
> it to be a (potentially) network-retrievable resource. I think this
> document should follow suit to avoid the problem that RFC 2396 defines
> "resource" to essentially be equivalent to "subject". RDF people are
> going to be seriously confused if we don't do this, I think.

I agree with Lars (and in-turn with Dave) on this point. The issue
addressed was one of the "stumbling blocks" I ran into as well as I
(slowly) have been reviewing this work. It took me a bit to swap in the
appropriate context.

To the extent this group can minimize the necessary "context swap" that
is required from various communities (RDF, librarians, taxonomists,
etc.) that have been targeted to review this work, the better.

semantic web activity lead               http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/
w3c world wide web consortium            http://www.w3.org/