Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj-comment] XTM questions

Hi Max,

* Max Voskob

| I think it's probably not the right TC for my questions, but anyway
| ;)

That's correct. :)

| 1. I could not find any mailing list for XTM. The link to mailing
| lists on www.topicmaps.org is dead. Could you give me any contact
| details for XTM mailing lists?

What do you mean by "mailing list for XTM"? TOPICMAPMAIL is the
general topic map mailing list. There isn't any dedicated to XTM in
particular.

| 2. An XTM question
|
| topic A3 is an instance of topic A2 which is an instance of topic A1
| same thing for B3, B2 and B1
| A2 is associated with B2
|
| Does it mean that the association is inherited by A3 and B3?

In the absence of other information: no.

| If yes, then what is associated exactly with what?
| A3 <> B2 & B3 <> A2
| A3 <> B3
| somewhat else?

A2 has an association with B2. That's it. The semantics of the
association type may allow you to infer more information, but there's
no general mechanism for this in the standard.

| I could not find any clarification on this in the spec. Am I wrong
| asking this question at all?

You are not.

| 3. Why did you use <scope> instead of xml:lang to provide
| internationalization?

Because <scope> does many things *beyond* i18n, and xml:lang is in any
case very limited in terms of indicating language. For example, you
could use scope to indicate that what corporate culture A calls 'APAC'
culture B calls 'Pacific rim'.

You may find <URL: http://www.isotopicmaps.org/sam/sam-model/ >
helpful to answer questions like these, by the way.