Subject: [tm-pubsubj] Republication of XTM 1.0 under OASIS

(Sorry for cross-posting, but the subject seems relevant to both
public and technical debate).

This message is an attempt to bring back to the general forum
where IMO it belongs a question which has been debated so far in
the context of OASIS Topic Maps Published Subjects TC
development, but unfortunately mainly through "private forum"
exchanges. I regret in fact not to have suggested that the debate
had to get public from the beginning.

The bottom issue is TopicMaps.Org legacy, namely XTM 1.0
specification legal status concerning copyright and responsible
organization. I'll try to sum up the problem, various options
proposed to tackle it, and why I keep considering - after, I confess,
a few hesitations during last few days - that it is *not* in the scope
of PubSubj TC and should be tackled through a specific process.

1. XTM 1.0 specification refers over twenty times to TopicMaps.Org
as the responsible publishing organization. AFAIK, this
organization have sort of vanished in Montréal in August, and
should not be referred to any more, except from an historical
perspective.

2. XTM 1.0 is published on the web under www.topicmaps.org, but
technically, this domain name is now hosted and managed on
OASIS servers by OASIS webmasters. But this is not visible on
the web.

3. TopicMaps.Org is bound to become an OASIS Member Section,
but this is yet only prospective.

4. The status of XTM 1.0 DTD (and annexes) vs ISO 13250 is still
in debate as we have seen lately.

5. The only entity to have legal and actual existence in OASIS, in
the migration of TopicMaps.Org legacy process, is PubSubj TC.
Other TCs are prospective, but are not yet even to the stage of
proposal charter and call for participation.

So it has been proposed that this PubSubj TC extends its charter
to take in charge the republication of XTM 1.0 under OASIS stamp.

Arguments in favor of that option:

1. It's a simple task, involving no real technical work.
2. It's the only available process to get the thing done quickly.
3. Setting a specific TC for that will engage a long and heavy
process for a small but urgent task.

Arguments against that option:

1. It's not as simple as it seems given the technical, historical and
legal background of this specification. Clearly enough, the
republication cannot be done *as is*, the references to
TopicMaps.Org having to be changed to whatever relevant
authority, namely a Member Section ... with no legal status so far.

2. I'm afraid it would impede from the beginning PubSubj TC work
with issues clearly out of its scope. It would put implicitly on the
shoulders of this TC all the consequences of any problem(s) in this
republication. Given the history of this document, I can't assume
there will be none and that all the process will be gentle and
smooth ...

Well. Enough said. I won't surrender to the argument "this is the
only way to do it quickly". I've already passed more time in debate
over that issue in the last few days than preparing the proper
PubSubj TC work (meeting today). That's exactly the kind of
consequences you get by getting out of focus, and that I don't want
to see the TC work get into.

That's why I propose that the editors of the spec propose publicly
here a specific process for the transition. They are after all
responsible of that document, no?

Regards

Bernard

Bernard Vatant - Consultant