Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj] Re: [tm-pubsubj-comment] Comments on Use Case

Suellen, Bernard,

Thanks for your comments and for filling in the details. I will work on the
Use Case a little more.

I would really like to have in mind all players that could benefit from this,
and I'm not only talking about the community involved in topic maps and
related
technologies but also the public at large.

I keep going back to the ISO 13250 Topic Map Specification.
I think I need some clarification about the definition of Published Subjects
and how it relates to but is different from a Public Subject Descriptor.

Subject Descriptor and Public Subject Descriptor as defined in ISO 13250:

"A subject descriptor is a reference to a positive, unambiguous, indication
of the identity of a subject.
For example, it could be a reference to some descriptive text, a Dewey
Decimal Code or a Universal Decimal Classification. A public subject
descriptor is a subject descriptor which is designed to be used as a common
referent of the identity attribute in many topic maps."

"Any two topics that have the same URI as the value of their identity
attribute  are considered to be equivalent to a single topic that is the
union of the  contents of the two topics, and of any associations that
reference them."

Are there elements of the Public Subject Descriptor that hold true for a
Published Subject? How are they different? A Published Subject would follow
along the lines of the Public Subject Descriptor but would also be a stable
online reference?   I think we need to compare and contrast these terms,
including PSI, in a definition for a Published Subject to clear up and
misunderstanding (myself included).

It might not have been clear enough in the Use Case I submitted, but I
wanted to  propose the use of some standard numerical code in a URI, based
on what I read from the ISO standard.

I was envisioning  TM authors following ISO 13250 using something like this
this if they wanted to merge their topics:

<Topic id="topicidname" identity =
"http://www.purl.org/pubsubjSourceName/UDC/UDCcodexxxx/descriptiveTitle/">

In the above instance, it does not resolve to anything, because is just a
descriptor?

How would this work with Published Subjects, if at all?

How about this?
A source would register the location of their Public Subject with purl.
They are classifying their subject based on some  system, could also be
ISBN for instance, and then state the code, then some title of the subject,
etc.

The perl uri would redirect to the  source's own domain. This seems like
something the source would agree to.

If a topic map author were following the XTM Specification, the above
example would look like this?

<subject-identity>
<subjectIndicatorRef
xlink:href="http://www.purl.org/pubsubjSourceName/UDC/UDCcodexxxx/descriptiveTitle.xml/>
</subject-identity>

or could it possible look like this?
<subjectIdentity>
<subjectIndicatorRef
xlink:href="http://www.purl.org/pubsubjSourceName/UDC/UDCcodexxxx/scopename.xml#subject/>
</subjectIdentity>

These are just some ideas I would like discussed before the meeting. Thanks.

Best regards,
Mary