Subject: [tm-pubsubj] Subject Indicator vs Subject Descriptor

Following November 20 meeting, consensus of present people
seems to be established on the following points (correct me if I am
wrong).

A Published Subject should provide two distinct parts:

1.  Subject Indicator (URI or URL)
as to be used through <subjectIndicatorRef xlink:href>
It is thought that this should be both
-- a syntactic identifier, to be used by software as a mere character
string, without any further processing and interpretation.
-- a pointer to a resolvable resource (the Subject Descriptor defined
below).
No, or the least possible, "semantics" are to be put in the string
itself, apart from a standard structure, allowing software or humans
to identify it as a Subject Indicator.

2.  Subject Descriptor
It is the content of the resource that the Subject Indicator resolves
to. It is where the subject is properly defined and/or described, in
other terms it is where the semantics are grounded, and the Topic
Map recursive process ends.
For the recursivity to end effectively, the Subject Descriptor have to
be defined not in Topic Map terminology, but at a meta-level.
Best candidate for standard Subject Descriptor structure could be
built upon RDF-Dublin Core elements.
Such a standard Subject Descriptor could be used by parsers to
extract metadata on the subject, like publisher, date of creation,
validation etc.

I propose that this distinction be explicitly stated on TC
requirements, as well as the requirement to deliver a syntax for
both Subject Indicator and Subject Descriptor.

Comments *most* welcome.

Bernard
Bernard Vatant - Consultant
bernard.vatant@mondeca.com