Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj] Re: Country.xtm PSI; also proposed region.xtm PSI

Murray

I am as uneasy with your proposition as I was with the one concerning the
republication of XTM 1.0 a few months ago.
This is definitely not in the charter of PubSubj TC as is. Maybe it could be
thought as a subcommittee?

But the "Big Picture" about published subjects we discussed in Montréal was to
have PubSubj TC for general recommendations, and various specific TCs for field
applications of those recommendations, bringing insight from field experts and
users in well defined areas. This seems quite bureaucratic, I acknowledge, but
it is a way both to keep each working group into focus, and bring interest in
the process from field experts outside the "core" topic maps community.

In this very case, I suppose - I've no specific knowledge in that field - there
is a published legacy of countries, regions and languages terminology maintained
by various authorities (ISO and others), and I would imagine a good idea would
be to explore with those very authorities how this legacy can be used as
published subjects, how it can fit into PubSubj TC recommendations with the less
rewriting effort, etc. It's both of marketing and technical interest to bring
the existing legacy of taxonomies and classifications in the field of published
subjects.

Other opinions?

Bernard