Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj] Call for vote on new deliverable structure

At 17:42 14/06/02 +0200, Bernard Vatant wrote:
> > To me it sounds as though the first deliverable will contain very
> > little in the way of real substance ...
>
>Yes, there will be "very little" substance in that first deliverable, and
>that's exactly
>what we need. The less we have there, the better we are, because it will
>show that making
>a PSI is very simple if you want to just meet requirements, and that
>requirements are very
>few for PSIs to start to work. All the rest : format, structure, metadata,
>management, use
>... is optimization, and I consider now it should stay at the level of
>recommendations and
>best practices, with no requirements in it.

Hear, hear! These were exactly the sentiments that motivated me to go back
to "first principles" during the meeting in Barcelona. The basic stuff
doesn't have to be complicated, and it's important that we get that fact
across, very clearly.

Steve

--
Steve Pepper, Chief Executive Officer <pepper@ontopia.net>
Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34/WG3  Editor, XTM (XML Topic Maps)