Subject: RE: [tm-pubsubj] New Gentle Introduction

Title: RE: [tm-pubsubj] New Gentle Introduction

> Thanks for your feedback, Thomas.
>
> At 13:22 20.02.2003 +0100, Bandholtz, Thomas wrote:
> >I like Steve's images, but something is missing:
> >
> >1. The human actor is always the actor, even if she uses a
> machine to
> >interprete something machine-readable. The human actor is
> not named "human
> >interpretable", as it looks in the pictures :-)
>
> That one can be easily fixed. I'll extend the arrows upwards
> and move the
> text to the right of them.

Great!

> Your second point is more problematic. What worries me is
> your concern for
> the needs of the machine (or agent).
>
> In my view of things, the machine will not even try to
> resolve the URL that
> is the subject identifier. It will simply compare it with
> another URL as a
> string.

I think that is not all - there will be some processing of the subject definition. Even if we cannot forsee what will happen in the semantic web, we should not make any assumption that there needs not to be any processing.

Imagine an agent collecting the definitions of subjects that look similar and negotiates which one to select for a given application ...

> >But, even if XPointer would be implemented, this would not solve the
> >problem. The human reader wants to see a formated document -
> the machine
> >needs pure XTM.
>
> For the purpose of establishing identity there is no need for
> a "machine
> readable" subject indicator at all. In other words, the
> machine does *not*
> need "pure XTM" ... all it needs is the URL.
>
> Or have I misunderstood what you were trying to say?

The URL is the most important to begin with. My vision is that machines can process the concept of the subject - this will never work using HTML only.

Thomas