Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj-comment] Comments from Dave Beckett

At 19:33 2003/03/19 -0500, Eric Miller wrote:
>On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 06:26, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
> >
> > Dave Beckett is editor of some of the RDF specifications, so this is
> > really good. His comments are spot-on, too.

> > I think the draft should be *very* careful when using the term
> > "resource". SAM consistently says "information resource", and defines
> > it to be a (potentially) network-retrievable resource. I think this
> > document should follow suit to avoid the problem that RFC 2396 defines
> > "resource" to essentially be equivalent to "subject". RDF people are
> > going to be seriously confused if we don't do this, I think.
>
>I agree with Lars (and in-turn with Dave) on this point. The issue
>addressed was one of the "stumbling blocks" I ran into as well as I
>(slowly) have been reviewing this work. It took me a bit to swap in the
>appropriate context.
>
>To the extent this group can minimize the necessary "context swap" that
>is required from various communities (RDF, librarians, taxonomists,
>etc.) that have been targeted to review this work, the better.

I recall that we agreed to use the DC definition of "resource." We need to
add this back perhaps?

In addition, we need to look again at using the acronym PSI for both
indicator and identifier.

dajobe: P3 PSI introduced without definition - is that Indicator or Identifier?

The term "subject identifier" is not in ISO 13250, so maybe we should
consider dropping it, since it does cause confusion.

dajobe: 2.4.2 " The address of a subject indicator is called a subject
identifier." but there is also something else called a 'subject address' !

We can think of describing this in prose. I find when I write about
published subjects, all I need to define are the indicators and I do not
mention the identifiers. It is really not necessary.

Cheers,
Mary