Subject: Requirements oddity

Greetings,

Still wading along in the draft proposal and noticed that the second
requirement for PSIs reads:

"A Published Subject Identifier must resolve to a human-interpretable
Published Subject Indicator."

Struck me as odd while writing because the second recommendation reads:

"A Published Subject Indicator may provide human-readable metadata about
itself."

But the "metadata" isn't really about "itself" is it?

That is to say, the only "data" in a Published Subject is the unique URI
that forms its Published Subject Indentifier. The entirety of a
Published Subject Indicator is "metadata" about the Published Subject
Identifier. Together, that is Published Subject Identifier + Published
Subject Indicator, form a Published Subject. Neither without the other
is enough to have a Published Subject.

I would leave the requirement as stated, particularly since "resolve" is
left undefined, thereby allowing the full range of what are called
subject descriptors in ISO 13250 to be Published Subject Identifiers.

I would however drop the second recommendation as confused. A Published
Subject Indicator is metadata (already constrained to be
human-interpretable) about the Published Subject Identifier.

Actually I think we need to revisit the entire document and re-write
using Published Subject, Published Subject Identifier and Published
Subject Indicator, written out in full and limit the use of PSI as
shorthand for Published Subject. Not a happy circumstance but would
accord with our usage up to this point.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick

--