Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj] Requirements oddity

Warning: longish!

Peter,

Finished up some more admin stuff this morning so back to the draft!
Going slower than I hoped. :-(

Peter Flynn wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-09-13 at 14:35, Patrick Durusau wrote:
> [...]
>
>>"A Published Subject Indicator may provide human-readable metadata about
>>itself."
>>
>>But the "metadata" isn't really about "itself" is it?
>

> I think what we were trying to say is that the PSind can have metadata
> about itself *as well as* about the PSident (as you say).

Well, that makes sense in a way, but may illustrate a lack of clarity in
our thinking or the prose.

Consider that I have the PSident:

"http://psi.fruits.org/apple.html"; // note change from committee spec

Now, in order for that to be a Published Subject, it must "must resolve
to an human-interpretable Published Subject Indicator." (Requirement 2)

So, lets construct the Published Subject Indicator, apple.html:

<head>
</head>

OK, do these two together meet the requirements and recommendations?:

Requirement 1: URI? yes

Requirement 2: Resolvable? yes

Requirement 3: State its URI? yes

Recommendation 1: human-readable metadata about itself? yes

Recommendation 2: machine-interpretable metadata about itself? yes

Recommendation 3. 1 and 2 are consistent? yes

Recommentation 4. Declares itself a PSI? yes

Recommendation 5: Declares its publisher? yes

Question 1: What in this HTML page is about the Published Subject
Indicator and which is about the Published Subject Identifier? Is there
a difference?

Question 2: More specifically, is the date metadata about the Published
Subject Indicator or about the Published Subject Identifier?

Would it make a difference if it read:

Question 3: Declare itself to be a PSI? Shouldn't it say Published
Subject Indicator? It is obviously not a Published Subject Identifier.

One problem I am wrestling with is how do machines discover information
about Published Subject Identifiers?

If the semantics of metadata in a Published Subject Indicator were
declared to be "about" the Published Subject Identifier, we could have:

<rdf:RDF
     xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#";
     xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"/>
    <rdf:Description
        rdf:about="http://psi.fruits.org/apple.html";
        dc:publisher="Johnny Appleseed"
        dc:description="Apple: Round firm fleshy fruit of a rosaceous tree"
        dc:type="Published Subject Indicator"
        dc:date="2003-09-14" />
</rdf:RDF>

(Does not have to use RDF, could declare a <link> element in XHTML and
prepend dc. to all the same names inside meta elements.)

Which not only meets all the requirements and recommendations but is
also machine-processable metadata "about" the Published Subject
Identifier. (Actually since we suggested consistency between
human/machine metadata, we could simply say it applies to both?)

While it is true that topic map processors will only "match" the
Published Subject Identifiers for subject identity purposes, making it
easy for other software to seek out and store metadata from Published
Subject Indicators "about" Published Subject Identifiers, looks like a
good strategy.

Comments?

Hope everyone is having a great day!