Subject: RE: [tm-pubsubj] human-readable?

My 0.02 about human-read-ability

Human-readable resource is a very relative concept. It makes sense only for
that kind of humans both able to read and understand what they read. Not
all humans can do that, which assumes a lot, like knowledge of syntax and
semantics of the resource language - be it "natural" or more or less
"formal" - awareness of the context, and so on.
I remember discussing with Patrick in Montreal Extreme 2002 about the fact
that biblical PSIs would only make sense to folks involved in biblical
studies. Suppose the SBL publishes a PSI in English for the concept of Holy
Trinity. For, say, some buddhist Korean electrical engineer, itcould be as
much readable than a PSI for unameit type of electrical gagdget in Korean
would be to a SBL scholar. Those two guys have certainly different notions
of what is readable or not. But they are both humans AFAIK, although
somehow techies in their domain (techies are humans too - well, some of
them).

It figures, who will "read" a PSI apart of techies? To read a PSI and make
sense of it, you have first to have understood what the hell a PSI is about
and is for. And that is highly technical understanding! So parsing XML and
even RDF will be a minor issue for people arrived at that point, I guess.

Independently of human readability or not of HTML source code, a real issue
with using HTML header metadata is that it is not clear to the user what
the subject indicator *is* in that case. Is it the source code, or is it
the browser rendering of it? In the latter case, the header metadata are
not strictly speaking part of the subject indicator, in the former they
are. That should be clarified if we are to recommend HTML as a subject
indicator format. It would be a good idea to recommend that the information
contained in the <header> metadata (and a RDF header is indeed a good idea
in the Semantic Web universe) should be duplicated in the <body> for human
consumption through the browser interface.

We would have the same dialectic if we consider XML + stylesheet PSIs.
Although good XML could be human-readable, one could iumagine the
stylesheet to render only what is human consumable in the XML file, and let
the rest for any subject indicator parser.

Bernard

eave_workgroup.php.