Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj] teleconferences, Committee Plans, etc.

* Mary Nishikawa

| First, I agree with Steve and Robin. I think that we should make one
| TC with subcommittess, draft a new charter, and send out a call for
| participation. The people who are only interested in Geolang, for
| example can participate in the subcommittee.

The trouble is that we can't do that, however much we may want to:

A TC is not allowed to change its charter.

| At a minimum, we need to conduct either a meeting or electronic vote
| within a 6 month period. That means we would only need two
| meetings/electronic votes per year.
|
| Very active OASIS committees have  monthly meeting teleconferences and
| a face to face meeting each quarter (I take these commitees seriously).
|
| I guess we can be somewhere in the middle. One  teleconference every
| 6 or 8 weeks  may be realistic, and one face to face meeting/year is
| doable for most.

I think a combination of IRC meetings, email, and then whatever else
we need to keep OASIS happy is probably the way to go. Concalls are
IMHO not very effective (there's always sound problems), and they are
also expensive, whereas IRC has none of these problems.

| If we are better at keeping track of proprosals, review of documents
| and versioning we can really make progress.  Maybe Lars Marius
| wouldn't mind us using his CVS for tracking of documents.

I'd be happy to. It may also be that Kavi can do this.

| I still have a proposal on the table from Feb 2002 on Best Practices
| for Published Subjects Documention Stucture which I had almost
| forgotten about (To my surprise it was recently cited in an article on
| "Semantic Anchors for XML" in IBM's Developer Works by Uche Ogbuji.
| http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think20.html
|
| I think there is still interest in published subjects :)

Of course there is! We just need to get restarted, that's all.

| Whatever we can get would be nice. Teleconferences that I book
| usually cost somewhere around 400-500 USD for a 2-hr
| conference. This is not a trivial amount. If the sponsor can book an
| 800 number for participants, that would be great, and we would get
| more participation, I think, but I would guess that the cost would
| go up. Some companies have their own teleconference system which may
| be cheaper.

Personally, I'd much rather not have teleconferences. I really don't
like them, and find them very exhausting. This may have to do with my
poor hearing, but if we could go for IRC instead I would very much
prefer that.

| I think that those that did not vote for a chair and for the ballot
| due on the 24th can effectively be removed from the roster as
| members.

They probably can. :-(

| We can do this all in a ballot. It is the easiest and most efficient
| way to get feedback from most of the people here.

Yeah. I think we should have a little discussion to get the
alternatives on the table, and then do a ballot to decide which way to
go. The problem with an email discussion is that there is usually a
silent majority whose opinion goes unheard...